WHERE TO APPLY
Office of Judy Ridgeway
Cole County Recorder of Deeds
311 E. High Street
(Room 101 of the Cole County Courthouse Annex)
Jefferson City, MO 65101
How to apply
We are asking that couples use our Online Marriage Application to begin the marriage application process. Once the online portion of the application has been completed the couple will need to come to the Recorder of Deeds office to finish the marriage application. (Please note that for the online application the Groom will be the 1st party and the Bride will be the 2nd party)
Both parties must appear TOGETHER at the Recorder of Deeds office. You will need the following:
- Valid government issued photo ID.
- Confirm date and location of the marriage ceremony.
- Confirm name of officiant solemnizing the marriage.
- A fee of $51 is due at this time. Cash, check or credit card accepted. ($2 additional Bank fee for debit/credit card)
*If Either Party is unable to appear in the Recorder’s Office to apply, due to Military Service, ADA Qualifying Disability or Incarceration, an Affidavit of Absent Application maybe be provided.
- Civil ceremonies are performed by Cole County Circuit Judge Div. III, Honorable Cotton Walker.
- To schedule your Cole County Courthouse Civil ceremony, please call: 573-634-9115
- As of right now the courthouse is allowing 2 guests, with exceptions for young children and/or parents of the couple. Photos can be taken outside the Courthouse or elsewhere after the brief ceremony.
when to apply
- Applicants should come to the Recorder of Deeds Office to finish or start the marriage application process.
- Office hours are 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday except legal holidays and the application process takes about 20-30 minutes if done only in the office.
- We would ask that applicants try to make it before 4 PM, if possible, but we will always have someone here till 4:30 PM.
- NOTE: Application can be made 6 months prior to date of ceremony.
When to pick-up
- Either party may return to pick up the license.
- License is available for pick-up the week of the marriage.
- The marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date of issue and may be used anywhere within the state of Missouri.
what to do with the license
You are responsible for delivering the license to the person who solemnizes your marriage. The person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license to the Cole County Recorder of Deeds office within 15 days of the ceremony.
- Blood relatives, down to and including first cousins, MAY NOT marry under the laws of the State of Missouri.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent.
- A male or female age 21 or older MAY NOT marry a male or female under 18 years of age.
- Previously married applicants must give the date their last marriage ended. Divorced individuals may not apply until their divorce has been final for a minimum of 30 days.
Identification and proof of age is required of all persons. The following documents will be accepted:
AGE 18 & OVER
- Valid Driver’s License OR official State Identification OR Passport.
- MUST provide Social Security Number.
AGE 16 THROUGH 17
- Birth Certificate (Legal, Certified)
- MUST have custodial parent to give consent*
- Persons between the ages of 16 and 17 may obtain a license with the consent of their custodial parent. Parents must give consent in person at the time of application and must have proper identification.
- Proper identification for consenting parents is a valid driver’s license or passport, and if divorced, court papers to prove custody.
OBTAINING PROOF OF MARRIAGE
- Request can be made in person, mail or phone (credit card required if requesting by phone).
- We do offer a FORM for filling out if mailing in a request.
- When calling or showing up in person, please have name of parties ready and date of ceremony.
- Cost is $9 per certified copy. Cash, check or credit card accepted ($2 additional bank fee for credit/debit card).
- There is no charge for a certified copy if for military purposes.