Building Permits

Cole County adopted Building Codes in 1999. The codes were adopted for the purpose of promoting the public safety, health and general welfare, to protect life and property and to prevent the construction of fire hazardous buildings. In 2003 the County Commission adopted the latest version of codes from the International Code Council. Specific versions of building codes in effect can be seen below.  Reference materials can be purchased directly from the ICC website at Reference materials can be purchased directly from the ICC website.  Besides these codes Cole County uses a fee schedule calculated from the current RS Means Building Construction Cost Data.
State Statute (Sec. 327.101) requires architect or engineer sealed plans for commercial buildings( including for any structure that is intended for residential containing more than two dwelling units).

Cole County has adopted the following codes:

  • 2000 International Building Code
  • 2000 International Residential Code
  • 2000 International Plumbing Code
  • 2002 National Electrical Code

All contractors doing business in unincorporated Cole County are required to obtain a contractor's license.  Licenses are issued annually.  Application should be dropped off at Cole County Public Works in person and cost $175.00.  Application form can be found below:

 Cole County Contractor License Application

When Are Permits Required

Building Permits are required for all the following structures:
  • Single Family Dwellings
  • Commercial Structures
  • Multi-Family Dwellings
  • Manufactured Homes
  • Building Additions
  • Remodeling
  • Accessory Structures (Sheds, Garages, and In ground Pools )
  • Agricultural Buildings (Barns, Machine Sheds, and Grain Bins)
Building Permit break down year to date can be seen here.

Monthly list of Building Permits issued can be seen here.

  1. Mark Luebbering

    Building Code Inspector

  2. Pat Case

    Building Code Inspector

Permit applications can be picked up at our office or are available below.  Completed forms should be returned to our office in person for final approval.